When we’re feeling stressed out after so many weeks of hard work and tough routine, a weekend at a beach resort or a short trip to our favorite place might be just the thing to soothe our nerves. However, there isn’t always time for it.
Hence, here are 10 ways to instantly relax yourself. From noshing on some sweet stuff to running a brush in your hair, all these tactics can be calming during tough, hectic days.
1. Grab Some Sweet: Nosh on chocolate; just a little piece of the sweet stuff can tranquil your nerves, especially dark chocolate. It normalizes levels of the stress hormone in our bodies. Or try tasting some honey. It provides compounds that lessen the irritation in the brain and fights anxiety.
2. Chew a Gum: Chewing a bubble gum just for a few minutes is a startlingly fast and simple way to beat anxiety. It can actually reduce stress and soothe your nerves.
3. Meditate: Just 5 minutes of tranquility and peace is all it takes to gather the benefits of meditation. It is said that just two quick sessions of a quiet meditation in a day can help you relax and relieve stress.
4. Breathe: Try pranayama breathing, a yogic technique of inhalation that involves breathing through one nostril at a time to relieve anxiety. The technique needs to balance the mind and body. Or simply just inhale through your nostrils and exhale slowly through your mouth. It helps you relax.
5. Count Backward: When worries are running out of control and you are finding it hard to relax your mind, try counting backwards slowly, with visualization of the numbers in your head. It will help relaxing your brain.
6. Day Dream: Beat stress by visualizing yourself at your dream destination, enjoying with your loved ones or anything that makes you feel happy. It’s an instantaneous mood enhancer on frantic days when we’re feeling stressed.
7. Give Yourself a Massage: Try a hand massage for instant relaxation. Hand massages are known to help people who spend plenty of time typing on a keyboard. Hands can generally clutch loads of tension. Apply some deluxe lotion or an essential oil and start rubbing the base of your thumb to ease stress in the shoulders and neck.
8. Relaxing Through Pressure Points: Massage the soft area between the thumb and forefinger. Apply some lavender oil or any other essential oil for extra relaxation.
9. Use Cold Water: When stress strikes, head to pour some cold water over your wrists and behind your ears. The main arteries are right beneath the skin on your wrist and behind earlobes, so cooling these areas can help tranquil the whole body.
10. Comb Your Hair: Cyclic motions such as brushing your hair, doing dishes, or weaving can cause the body to relax. It’s better to use a wooden comb or brush, it promotes blood circulation.
To know more about stress and its physical effects, read here.