Home & Garden
Sometimes, the tiniest of things may make you go panicky or make your life difficult in the kitchen. Hence, here are some kitchen secrets and tricks to make life in the kitchen easier for you.
1. Remove Fruit Stains From Your Fingers: Rub a fresh, peeled potato or white vinegar on fingers to get rid of pomegranate or other fruit stains.
2. Descale The Kettle: To clean calcium deposits in an electric kettle, boil a mixture of half white vinegar and half water in the kettle then empty it.
3. Save The Flavour of Citrus Fruits: Avoid putting citrus fruits or tomatoes in the fridge, the low temperatures take away the aroma and flavour of these fruits.
4. Keep Tupperware From Stinking: When storing them, throw in a pinch of salt to keep them from getting stinky.
5. Get The Extra Fat Out Of Your Meal: If a soup, sauce, or gravy gets too fatty or greasy, put in an ice cube. The ice will soak up the fat, which you can then scoop out.
6. Nourish Your Plants: After boiling pasta or potatoes, cool the water and use it to water your house plants, the water contains nutrients that your plants will love.
7. Reduce The Excess Salt: If you over-salt a pot of soup or a curry, just drop in a peeled potato, the potato will suck up the excess salt.
8. Make Sure Your Eggs Are Fresh: To make sure if your eggs are fresh, before breaking or boiling them, place them in about 10 cm of water. Eggs that stay on the bottom are fresh. But If the one end of the egg tips up, the egg is less fresh and should be used soon. If it floats, it’s past the fresh stage.
9. Keep Your Bread Fresh: If your loaf of bread is starting to go stale, just put a piece of fresh celery in the bag and close it back up.
10. Keep Bananas Fresh Longer: Don’t store your bananas in a bunch or in a fruit basket with other fruits. Divide them and place each in a different location. Bananas release gases which cause fruits (including other bananas) to ripen quickly. Keeping them separately will keep them fresh for longer.
11. Make The Burned Rice Flavour Vanish: For slightly burned rice, place a piece of white bread on top of the rice for 5-10 minutes to draw out the burned flavour.
12. Keep Your Lettuce Fresh: To keep lettuce fresh in the fridge, wrap it in a clean, dry paper towel and storing lettuce and paper towel in a sealed bag in the fridge.