Lettuce is one of those vegetables that gets labeled as a salad vegetable only. Here, we bring four easy recipes that incorporate this iron-rich leaf.
Lettuce Wedges with Creamy Dressing
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup mayonnaise $
- 2 large heads iceberg lettuce, quartered
- Combine grated lemon zest, lemon juice, honey, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Add 2 Tbsp. hot water and mix well. Add mayonnaise and stir until smooth. (Dressing can be made up to 3 days in advance; cover and refrigerate.)
- Arrange iceberg wedges on plates or a serving platter. Drizzle some dressing over each, sprinkle with pepper, if desired, and serve. Serve with remaining dressing.
Recipe from My Recipes.
Chinese Chicken and Mushroom Lettuce Cups
An perfect do ahead dish to serve to unexpected guests.
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 cups minced mushrooms
- 500 gms minced chicken
- 3 cups shredded cabbage
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 1 cup minced green onions
- 2 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh coriander
- 24 Iceberg lettuce leaves
- Heat 1 teaspoon sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add garlic, and cook for 2 minutes. Add the mushrooms and chicken; cook for 8 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add shredded cabbage, salt, crushed red pepper and cook for 5 minutes or until cabbage wilts. Remove from heat, and stir in onions, oyster sauce, and soy sauce. Cool completely. Place mixture in an airtight container or heavy-duty zip-top plastic bag; freeze.
- Thaw chicken mixture overnight in refrigerator or microwave at MEDIUM for 10 minutes. Bring to room temperature, or microwave at HIGH until warm, if desired. Stir in cilantro. Spoon about 3 tablespoons chicken mixture into each lettuce leaf with a slotted spoon.
Recipe adapted from My Recipes.
Stuffed Lettuce Parcels
- Large lettuce leaves, washed and drained properly
- 1 cup plain rice washed, boiled and drained
- 10 walnuts each chopped in a few pieces
- 1 small raw carrot cut into very small squares (or grated)
- 2 small spring onions
- 1 tsp curry powder
- pinch of ground cardamon
- ½ tsp paprika
- finely chopped fresh mint and basil (about 4 leaves of each)
- 2 tbsps golden sultanas
- 3 or 5 chopped, black olives
- a little dash of fresh lemon juice (optional)
- a little salt
- a little drizzle of olive or sunflower oil
In a non-stick pan, fry your pre-boiled rice in a little oil with all the spices for a couple of minutes, then allow to cool down properly. Now add the rest of the ingredients (except for the lettuce), and blend well using a fork. Using a large spoon, place one or two servings into the centre of each leaf and roll – I would use a couple of toothpicks to keep in place. Serve immediately. A fresh fruit juice complements this wonderfully, and makes not only for a great light lunch but also a highly nutritious one.
Recipe adapted from Mouth watering Vegan.
A wonderful accompaniment to burgers and sandwiches, even good ol’ daal chawal!
- 1 round head lettuce
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 4 Tablespoons sugar
- 6 Tablespoons vinegar
2. In a separate bowl, mix water, vinegar, sugar, and salt. The mixture can be adjusted a bit according to your taste.
3. Pour over lettuce. Use your hands to mix the lettuce well with the liquid.
4. Let sit for 20-30 minutes at room temperature. Refrigerate.
Recipe from About.