Home & Garden
How to simplify cooking and speed up things in the kitchen to save time for yourself. Here are some strategies and tricks:
- Drench the pasta or spaghetti in water, in a plastic bag for a few hours or overnight. It will cook in about 1 minute in a boiling water or just add it straight to a hot sauce in a pan and let it finish cooking there.
- Freezer trick: freeze things flat. The flatter and wider they will be, the faster they will freeze and defrost.
- The quickest way to defrost meat is to run cold water over it. However, if you want to save water and speed things up a bit; place your meat on an aluminum tray. Aluminum is a great conductor of heat and will fetch energy from the surrounding into your frozen meat and defrost it faster.
- Slicing meat to grind or cook can be tricky. To make it easier, place the meat in the freezer for 10 to 15 minutes to stiffen it up.
- The empty half of an egg shell is the best tool to take out immovable bits of cracked shells that have ended up in the bowl. They work like magnets.
- Ginger can be tricky to peel with all its bumps and irregularities. Rather than using a knife or a peeler, reach for the spoon. Scratch it against the peel and it’ll come right off.